2020 is looking set to be the year for customer service. So we’re starting out the New Year by taking a look at 20 awesome customer service stats to get the ball rolling:
1. 37% of businesses are already using (or trialing) the use of AI, chatbots, and/or robotics as part of their customer service strategy. Of this 37%, nearly three quarters believe that these technologies will be highly valuable in the future of customer service.
2. Insights agency Gartner estimated that between 20% and 40% of all live customer service experiences, including live chat and phone calls, could be successfully automated by implementing self-service functionalities such as chatbots.
3. More than half of all customer service leaders believe that one of their biggest challenges throughout 2020 and beyond will be attracting, recruiting, and retaining experienced customer service representatives, suggesting a shift to digitization.
4. Priorities for the year, according to customer service leaders, are big data and automation of back office tasks. Experts at Gartner are predicting that this will facilitate greater collaboration between customer service representatives and IT teams.
5. One of the primary reasons customers reach out to businesses is due to the poor performance or attitude of staff members. This accounts for 62% of all complaints, compared to just 34% of complaints that are related to purchased goods or services.
6. Today, nearly all (90%) of customers want and expect an organization to have some sort of digital self-service solution for customer service. More than half agree that having this option makes them more loyal to a brand, especially if the solution is responsive.
7. Customers are willing to pay more for good customer service. On average, customers will pay a 7% premium for car insurance and fashion, rising to a 14% premium for healthcare and hotel stays, and up to 16% extra for good service at a coffee shop.
8. Poor customer service can be detrimental to business. Around 30% of customers stop interacting with a brand following one bad experience, while nearly 60% of American customers will stop interacting with a brand following multiple poor experiences.
9. Knowledge, efficiency, convenience, friendliness, and ease are the top five aspects that today’s customers look for in good customer service. In fact, these five things are valued and prioritized by more than 70% of modern customers and consumers.
10. Despite growing adoption of new technologies, 54% of customers in the United States believe that the customer service currently offered by companies is in desperate need of improvement. This means businesses really need to prioritize customer needs.
11. 57% of customers would much prefer to get in touch with companies using digital methods, such as social media, chatbots, or online forms, than use more traditional voice-based customer support options such as the telephone or VoIP systems.
12. The average customer service interaction between business and customer takes 19 minutes. Reports suggest that this is far too long, and that customers are ideally looking for a swift, efficient service which takes 111 percent less time on average.
13. Many of those working within customer service roles have seen the changes that have taken place within the last few years. 88% say that customer expectations are higher than ever before, primarily as a result of customers becoming more informed.
14. Among the many reasons for customers reaching out to businesses, the inability for an organization to keep a promise or commitment to the customer is up there near the top of the list. More people are seeking assistance for this reason than ever before.
15. With multi-channel customer service on the rise, 62% of customers now say that they need to make multiple contacts across multiple channels in order to resolve a single problem or gain an answer to a single query. Consistency is key for a good experience.
16. The number of customer service centers in the United States is growing at an almost unprecedented rate. Today, there are nearly 3000 centers located across the country, with the industry experiencing a 5.6% annual growth between 2014 and 2019.
17. Good customer service can be a hugely effective and efficient driver of business success. Reports show that there is a strong, positive correlation between levels of customer satisfaction and revenue growth, highlighting the importance of experience.
18. According to insights agency McKinsey, 65% of call center back office tasks can now be automated using customer service technologies like AI. Additionally, the company predicts that between 30% and 50% of front line support will move to digital.
19. 85% of customers who have had a positive experience when contacting a company report that they are likely to increase their spending with the brand in the future. However, 70% claim they would reduce spending following poor service.
20. High earners are more likely to demand digital customer service options. 57% of those earning $200,000 and more want to interact through social channels and online systems, compared to just 41% of those customers earning $25,000 or less per year.
ConvertoBot is the leading chatbot website and social media bots platform. Start a free trial today.
Articles you may also like:
- “How Much A Chatbot Cost?” – A Beginners Guide
- How To Make A Chatbot With A High ROI: Ultimate “How To” Guide
- ConvertoBot Chatbot Pricing: Starter vs Professional vs Agency
- The Most Common Chatbot Problems
- What’s The Best Chatbot For Your Business?
- ConvertoBot Review – Is This The Best Chatbot?
- Chatbot WhatsApp Marketing: How To Get Cheaper & Quality Leads